Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sampler Cake

I demonstrated the techniques to my students using a dummy cake for class two, for the Fondant and Gum paste Course. As I already had three of my own cake projects on the go, I chose a quicker method. I also used old fondant batches that I have - you might recognize the fondants from the shower cake I did at the end of August! The bright colours I used were to show how to make the borders, the lace draped doily, and the drape itself. I had issues with the drape as I had to assist one of my students. It dried out, as I didn't cover it, and made it difficult to achieve a nicer profile on the top portion of the cake. I showed the ladies how to cover the cake and the base in fondant the first class, and how to mix the colours in different manners.

Last week we continued on with our carnation bases that we prepared during the second class. I think they turned out beautifully. I also taught them how to make a daisy and leaf, a carnation leaf and a "fantasy" flower. I thought everyone's turned out beautifully.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

I just spent the last three days prepping this one for my best friend's sons birthday. I had a lot of fun doing this, and enjoyed making the 3D pirate that took more than four hours to assemble. All was fondant with a chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream icing and chocolate pudding filling. It was hit last night and suited the theme really well. I did; however, take this shot before I put a couple of starfish on the cake to hide the seams on the wave. The colours are off on the picture too; the fondant cake base is ivory not flesh coloured like the pirate's face.

These were built on pillar globes that are used for wedding cakes.

I didn't like the seem in the back of his head, so I made him a little bandana to cover it up.

Mom's Birthday "Wreckage"

I have to say that even someone who knows what they are doing has a bad decorating day. I made this one from a six inch pan, but each layer baked to just over 2 inches thick. So I thought I would halve them like a torte would be. Four layers was just too much and too heavy. My mom wanted the jam and whipped cream filling, so I did a good helping between each layer. Even with the edges dammed, each layer I added, the more it tried to gush out the edges. Icing it was a nightmare; with each stroke the cake would lean in any direction, any layer, they were are living on their own man :oP I staked it in the centre to make it more stable but it was already beyond saving. With my mom only less than an hour away I continued to decorate hoping no one would notice....nah, I didn't care - in true "Wreckorator" (sorry Jon) style I went with it. Note my subtle pipings to hide the mysterious lean. I had a good laugh; we all did.

I did however; unfortunately spell everything correctly and afterward wished I hadn't just to be in true "Wreckorator" style.

Halloween Cookies

These are the cookies that I did up for Stirling's class Halloween party. I think they turned out well; sorry for the close up - the ghost and the cat kept wanting to disappear. I have already decided what I will do next year to make them better. Thanks to Wilton, I sent it with a disposable box so I didn't have to remember to bring it back. I was supposed to bring carrots and celery; as someone already managed to squeeze their name into the cookie slot moments after the request was posted at school. I walked up to her and said - I've got cutters and stuff coming I'm making cookies anyways. We chuckled and she said she was bringing cupcakes, perrrfect! I brought what I was supposed to and these, they were a hit!